Thursday 6 November 2008

My absentee ballot and my experience of the election in the UK

I had my absentee ballot mailed to me here in the UK. When I received it I sent it in straight away so I was sure it would make it there in time for the election. It was a bit odd being away from home during this process, a bit disconnected. I worried about what was going to happen and yes, I was afraid. It is 2008, yet there are many people out there that are very close minded and felt Obama should never be president. I had heard of reports of skin heads attempting to assassinate him a week before the elections and that made me more fearful. 

I went to sleep the night of the elections very worried and all I could do was hope that the people of our country would vote with true hearts and minds. Because of the election happening in the evening in the US, I had to wait until morning to hear any news here in the UK. I woke up and couldn't get to my computer fast enough. I was so excited when I heard the news I couldn't keep in in and just  sobbed. I then saw what a difference there were in the different states that usually vote for republicans!! I was so shocked and proud of America. That is when the tears really began to fall.

I now have a president that I feel truly represents me as a citizen of the United States! I am so excited and hopeful for the future of America. Later I watched his speech. I couldn't right away because I knew I couldn't contain myself and needed to get to class soon! His speech was perfect. He spoke of the people and how this is not his victory, but OUR victory. We did it. Yes we did!
I was sad that I missed out on the celebrations back home, yet when I made it to my classes and around the city, people were congratulating me on our victory!! 

No comments: