Sunday 14 December 2008

Recycling on campus...or the lack there of

My roommates and I have been saving our recyclable items throughout the week so we can bring it to the bins on the weekends.  It never fails, each Sunday the trash man comes in and throws our recycling in the trash!! The past two weeks along with the recycling they took my reusable bags the items were kept in. I went to the office and let them know. They simply told me that I needed to put my items away so they could not be taken. This is a kitchen with 7 people and barely room to put our groceries in the shelves let along our recycling too! 

I asked about recycling when I first came to campus and most of the staff didn't know anything about it or that there was even bins on campus. They do have recycling bins on campus, but no way of getting it there. 

So, back to story..This week I organized the recycling in different bags , plastic in one bag, aluminum in another,etcetera. I put my reusable bags away and used a few plastic bags we had around. 

The trash man still took all of it and I doubt he walked them to the recycling bin! It looks like I  will have to make a schedule around the Sunday trash person....

I am on a mission!  GGrrrr!


No comments: